Don’t Lose Sight of Why Commercial Truck Accidents Happen
Do you spend a lot of time on the highways in and around the San Antonio area? If so, you know that there are commercial trucks everywhere.
Since there is no way of avoiding these vehicles, you need to do whatever it takes to enhance your safety.
One of the best things you can do is learn why commercial truck accidents happen. With this knowledge, you'll always be one step ahead of the game.
Here are some of the top causes of truck accidents:
- Drowsy driving, such as when a trucker neglects to take breaks at the required intervals
- Inadequate training associated with defensive driving, safety and driving technique
- Distracted driving, which comes in many forms and comes into play when a trucker is not paying attention to the road
- A system of compensation, instituted by a trucking company, that encourages a trucker to drive fast and/or not take enough breaks
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs or prescription medication
- Reckless driving, which includes everything from speeding to failure to use turn signals
As the driver of a passenger vehicle, you know you should never do any of these things while you're behind the wheel. You also know that you don't have control over other drivers.
One of the best ways to avoid a truck-car accident is to remain alert and keep your distance when possible. An example of this would be to never drive in a trucker's blind spot. By taking these types of steps it's easier to avoid trouble, thus improving your overall level of safety.
What to do in the event of an accident
No matter how hard you try, you could be part of a truck accident in the future.
If this happens, you should do the following:
- Call 911 and wait for help to arrive
- Administer first aid to any injuries
- Receive medical treatment and follow the advice of your doctors
Once you are on the path to making a recovery, learn more about the accident. Pay attention to the cause, who was at fault and the steps you can take to protect your legal rights.