Who pays in a trucking accident? | The Law Offices of Tyler & Peery

On Behalf of | Apr 27, 2017 | Truck Accidents |

If you are involved in an accident with another passenger vehicle in Texas, your insurance and the other driver’s provider will likely be responsible to pay for the repair of any damage that is caused or injuries that are sustained. This is generally straight forward in multi-car accidents, but what happens when the other vehicle involved is a truck? U.S. Insurance Agents details who can expect to pay when you are hit by a truck.

Some trucks are owned by the driver and some are owned by companies. In both cases, the truck will likely be insured with a commercial insurance policy held by either the driver or the company. In the event of an accident, whoever owned the insurance policy may be responsible to pay a deductible on the claim and then the insurance company could cover the damage up to the policy limit. Some companies require their truck drivers to pay the deductible if the accident is their fault.

In some cases, subrogation will take place and your insurance as well as the company insuring the truck will negotiate with each other to determine which group is responsible for the charges for damage and injuries.

While the truck’s owner is responsible for the costs and repairs, whoever was driving the truck, even if that person was not the owner, would receive the points on his or her driving record after an accident. This information is meant to educate you on what will happen if you are hit by a truck and should not be taken as legal or medical advice.